Updated: March 27, 2020
As of March 27th , Guatemala has just under 30 cases of Covid-19. The Guatemalan government has taken several steps to control the outbreak:
- currently there is a curfew in effect from 4:00pm top 4:00am
- there are restrictions on work, public transportation and the borders are closed
The Mission is functioning at a very reduced level except for the healthcare program which is ramping up to fight the virus.
During this time Friends of San Lucas is committed to:
- keep paying the salaries of Mission employees through these uncertain times
- offer care to all patients who come to the clinic with Covid-19 as well as protect others seeking care
- add essential healthcare workers to the clinic staff including one additional doctor and 2 nurses
- provide all essential protective equipment and medicine to keep healthcare workers safe and provide comfort to the patients
- provide enhanced educational materials to all the healthcare workers and Health Promoters
- continue all Mission programming as soon as work restrictions are lifted in Guatemala
Currently the Visitors program is suspended until June 1st . We will make a decision about whether we will extend this by April 15th.
Many people have asked how they can help. We are moving the Kansas City fundraiser to an online event and due to a generous anonymous donor we are able to match every donation to this event dollar for dollar. To sign up to participate in this online event, please email email@example.com.