Currently the mission is not receiving visitors due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Please check back for more information or email Terri Wong.
Visitors have been an integral part of the Mission since its inception. There is simply no substitute for seeing the work of the Mission first-hand.
In 2018, Friends of San Lucas began designing trips to give participants opportunities to take a closer look at the workings of the Mission. Participants spend more time learning about Guatemalan culture and mission programs. They meet with program directors as they share hopes and dreams for their programs. These trips are designed for people who have been to the Mission before as well as total newcomers.
Usually 5-6 days in length and with 10-12 people, Mission Immersion Trips focus more time on learning and reflecting and less on manual labor (although some groups also choose to work on a wood house.)
What You’ll Do
Each trip is a little different, but many groups will:
- Hear from the Director of the Mission, Leonel Tun
- See the great work the Health Promoters are doing
- Talk to our Medical Director, Dr. Rafael Tun, about running a healthcare system in San Lucas
- Enjoy a fabulous lunch cooked by Guicha and her crew at the Women’s Center
- Take a guided tour of a couple of the smaller communities where the Mission works and see examples of block, wood and hybrid houses as well as meet a family waiting for a house.
- Discover what Montessorri education is all about and learn how the School Director came to run the school with 650 students. (Only if school is in session )
- Learn what goes into a good cup of coffee and talk to a coffee grower about the challenges of growing coffee in today’s market.
Time permitting, we will take a boat trip to Santiago Atitlan and learn the story of Fr. Rother and search for all the symbols of Maya religion carved into the altarpiece that Fr. Rother commissioned.
In addition, you will have the opportunity for guided reflections each evening as we ask ourselves how we can effectively and respectfully continue to walk alongside our friends in San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala.
Each trip is led by someone with deep knowledge of the history of the Mission, usually in partnership with the Executive Director.
Each trip costs $500 plus airfare. The $500 covers all your costs in Guatemala. To get more information or register for a trip, please contact Stephanie Greene at 612-759-3332.